As summer temperatures soar, it’s important to keep your asphalt surfaces in top condition. Whether you’re a homeowner or business owner, proper asphalt care will help extend the life of your pavement and prevent costly repairs down the road. Continue below to learn 10 easy tips for keeping your asphalt looking great all season long.
The Effects of Summer Weather on Asphalt Pavements
During the summer months, hot weather can be detrimental to the condition of asphalt pavements. As the temperature rises, the asphalt can soften and lead to deformation or damage from heavy vehicles. Additionally, prolonged exposure to heat and sunlight can cause the coloring of the asphalt to fade, resulting in a dull appearance. The combination of heat, moisture, and traffic can also cause cracks in the pavement. To mitigate the effects of hot weather on asphalt pavements, it’s essential to keep up with regular maintenance and repairs to ensure their longevity and safety for drivers and pedestrians. Professional contractors can also apply protective coatings to the surface to help prevent damage from UV rays and excessive heat.
How to Take Care of Asphalt Pavement in the Summer
1. Clean Up Spills Quickly: Make sure to clean up any spills or debris that falls onto your asphalt surface as soon as possible in order to prevent staining and other damage.
2. Regular Sealing: Sealcoating is an important part of keeping your pavement looking great and preventing damage from the elements like sunlight, water, and chemicals. Make sure to reseal your asphalt every three years or so for maximum protection.
3. Repair Cracks Promptly: Cracks can form in asphalt due to regular wear and tear or extreme temperature changes, so it’s important to repair them as soon as you notice them. Filling the cracks with a sealant will help protect against further damage from water seeping into the pavement.
4. Watch for Signs of Damage: Keep an eye out for potholes, sunken/heaving pavement, overgrown vegetation, cracking, fading line striping, or other signs of distress and have any issues repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
5. Check Drainage: Make sure that water is draining away from your asphalt surface properly by checking the slope of the ground around it.
6. Avoid Parking in the Same Spot: Don’t park in the same spot on a regular basis, as this can lead to tire impressions that are difficult to remove without professional help.
7. Be Mindful of Heavy Equipment: Heavy vehicles and construction equipment can cause significant damage to asphalt surfaces, so make sure they stay off unless absolutely necessary.
8. Sweep Regularly: Regularly sweeping your asphalt surface can help keep it free of debris and prevent staining.
9. Keep an Eye on the Weather: Extreme temperature changes can cause cracks to form in asphalt, so be sure to check the forecast and take extra precautions if temperatures are set to drop or rise quickly.
10. Hire a Professional: If all else fails, don’t hesitate to call a professional pavement repair company for assistance with repairs or maintenance. An experienced asphalt paving contractor will be able to assess any damage and offer advice on how best to maintain your pavement going forward.
The 101 on Asphalt Maintenance and Care
Asphalt maintenance is essential for keeping your pavement looking great and preventing costly repairs. By following these 10 summer asphalt care tips, you can ensure that your home or business will have a smooth, safe surface all season long. From cleaning up spills quickly to hiring professionals for assistance with maintenance and repair needs, it’s important to take the necessary steps now in order to keep your asphalt surfaces looking their best year-round. With proper care and attention, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of beautiful asphalt paving for years to come!
Are you looking for commercial paving services for your damaged asphalt pavements this summer? Contact ACI Asphalt and Concrete at 317-549-1833 for commercial asphalt repair and sealcoating services in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve commercial and industrial clients all throughout the state.